Feb 16, 2011

Wipro Infotech Interview

Today I had my Wipro Infotech Interview through Shreds Kerala recruitment agency and would like to share my experience with Wipro.
Stage I - Shreds Screening Test
This was a screening test by Shreds Kerala to cut the no of candidates to be sent for the second round of the recruitment process. Test was conducted at Ashirbhavan, Ernakulam North, Kochi around 10 AM on 15 Feb, 2011. The eligibility criteria was 70% above in X, XII and B. Tech. with no current arrears/ Backlogs. Other than this there should not be more than 1 year gap in study. Total around 1000 students gave the screening test from different colleges in Kerala.
Screening test was paper based aptitude test. It had total of 45 questions, 3 sections, 15 questions each. Time alloted was 40 minutes. Sections were on General aptitude, analytical reasoning  and sentence completion (Verbal Skills). Questions were of easy level, with no word meanings in verbal section and data sufficiency type of questions in analytical reasoning. Questions were on "Sets" in Aptitude section. (Suggestion : Go for such questions as solving 1 can help you solve similar 2-3 questions and score more) . Pictorial reasoning was there other than these all. Questions were easy, but speed was needed. I attempted 15 in verbal, 10 in aptitude and 13 in verbal reasoning approx. Not all correct. Since there was no negative marking I answered all the questions at the end.
Other than this in this screening test itself, we were asked to write a Essay on "Technical Education scene in Kerala" . We were asked to write 1 page essay on it in 20 minutes. I wrote something...
So finally the results came after 3 hrs around 1 PM on Feb 15, and I was shortlisted for next stage.

Stage II - Wipro Online Aptitude Test
So, at the next stage at KMEA Engineering college, Cochin from 8 AM onwards on 16th February, 2011 we had our online test. There were long pages to be filled up there on the online test site, each and everything about us. Finally we saw the test pattern - 3 sections, total 50 questions, 60 minutes duration. There was no negative marking. Sections were divided in Verbal Reasoning, Aptitude, Customer service orientation. Verbal reasoning and Aptitude consists of 20 - 20 questions each and Customer Service orientation had 10 questions. So I started the test. (Suggestion - Few people struggled with online test pattern system, as they didn't had any exposure to it and lost it. Better practice some online tests from gild.com before you go for online test) . Wipro online test software was good and gave option to switch to any section and any question anywhere and bookmark a question for review as well. I attempted all the questions. Scores were not  declared but I did well in Aptitude section. Customer Service Orientation was easy 10 marks section, so don't miss it. Verbal few answers were tricky and I was not sure with them.
After 1 hr of Online Test, shortlisting for online test came around 12 PM, and I was in. They took about 70 % of the students, those who attended the online test for the next round.

Break - Pre Placement Talk 
After announcing the results for online test shortlisting, they had a quick PPT and introduced us to the HRs who came for placements. There was a team of 11 persons. Main HR was Miss Ann (around 30-35 yrs). Then Mr Arvind (Late 20s) , Mr Bhupati (35 yrs around), and Mr. Varghese (40 above) were from technical section. All were looking cool. So the offer the Wipro came with was 2.75-3.25 Lpa based on training performance. Other than this, they were offering relocation expenses, travel allowance, 14 Lacs personal accidental insurance cover, medical cover, spouse insurance, and other things above CTC of 3.25. It was nice to hear. Personally I think, whole CTC was around 3.5 Lpa including all these.
During training period they were offering Rs 15,100 per month for first 3 months. There was a service bond total of 15 months of Rs 75000. That was needed to pay only if a person leaves Wipro before completion of 15 months, after joining .

Stage III - Group discussion
Here we were divided in groups of 15 each. There were two people from Wipro to evaluate us, they started with short intro about ourself ( Name and branch, college). So there were 6 boys and 9 girls in my group. Topic of the GD was - "Democracy is good for development" . So Rohit John from TocH college started the topic discussion and he told in favor of the topic. Suddenly I made my mind, to say in against as a good speaker was there in favor of the topic. So next to him I started speaking. I was simply making baseless points sometimes, as it was difficult to say that non democratic country is better to a democratic country, but I managed. 2-3 others also spoke in against of the topic.
Few girls joined the discussion, but it was going in a cool manner. Discussion didn't took a heated stage. Those who grabbed the opportunity were able to speak and people were listening silently to everyone. But some were there who didn't spoke a word. So finally we were asked to summarize the topic after 15 minutes of the discussion and I added a statement to summary that "Democracy is good but not necessary for development" . Results for GD were announced quickly. Those who didn't spoke a single word they lost. One girl spoke only 2 lines during whole GD, and she was in. So, thing was very clear, we need to talk atleast something in GD.

Stage IV - Essay Writing
So after getting shortlisted from GD round, I was confident enough. We were asked to write a quick essay on "My Home Town" in 10 minutes, in this round. I gave the topic name as "Gaya - Land of Lords", my hometown being Gaya in Bihar. It was not a elimination round and they asked to attach a CV to that essay page and a photograph.

Stage V - Wipro Technical Interview
Finally, after 15-20 minutes of completion of Essay Writing stage, my name for Technical interview round appeared. I was not much frightened as I was not so serious about Wipro ( I already had an offer from TCS ). Few Persons were coming out from the interview, they told that questions are not in deep.
So interview starts -
Me - Good Morning sir
Interviewer - Yes Anmol

He went through my resume, and saw my projects and all.
Interviewer - Introduce yourself in very short .
Me - I just gave a short intro and kept quiet.

Interviewer - So, you have done a lot of projects. he pointed out at IIT Kgp project of 2009 in my resume. Topic of the project was  "Development of Multi modal user interface for common people in India". So this is your recent project.
Me - No sir, this was the very first project I did in 2009 (I arranged the things in chronological order)

Interviewer - Oh! so which is recent
Me - IIT Bombay one sir.

Interviewer - Ok, this multi modal project, explain it in short.
Me - Small discussion was there on things, for 1 minute on this project.

Interviewer - On which language, you did this project.
Me - in C#

Interviewer - How did you get admission in Cochin University ? (He asked me because, I was a single Hindi speaking person, not a native of Kerala in whole group of students that was there)
Me - There was a common admission test, I got selected through that.

Interviewer - How do you like things in your college ? you like the place ?
Me - Yes sir, everything is fine. Then i paused.
I should say kerala is quite good ( Just to butter him :) )

Interviewer - Looking at my resume, so what all subjects you have in your final year.
Me - I named them, He listed to Software project management

Interviewer - You know waterfall model.
Me - answered

Interviewer - What is spiral model
Me - answered.

Interviewer - So, you had databases, you have studied it.
Me - Yes sir, we had it in our course.

Interviewer - What is primary Key ?
What is Foreign Key ?
Me - answered both

Interviewer - So these all Rational Rose, Lotus Symphony etc you have used them
Me - Yes sir, I have used them. I'm not proficient in it, but i had a little exposure to them.

Interviewer - Why did you used Rational Rose
Me - for class diagrams sir

Interviewer - What is a sequence diagram
Me - Answered something, I didn't knew the exact answer.

Interviewer - So when did you learned all these things, it was in your syllabus.
Me - Sir few projects that i did had restriction to use these all, so I learned this that time.

Interviewer - Ok Anmol, wait for the HR round outside. We are done with this.
Me - May I leave sir ?
Interviewer - Yes you can leave.
I came out from interview room. Things went fine. Whole technical round was for 15 minutes around.

Stage VI - Wipro HR Interview
After 20-25 minutes i was called for an HR interview. As i entered the room the interviewer, Mr Arvind, said Hi to me. I replied with a Hi. He was the one, who said in the morning not to say sir. We at wipro feel that sir is a abusing word. I took my seat.

Interviewer - So Anmol, just introduce yourself.
Me - did

Interviewer - Tell me something which is not there in the resume
Me - (I didn't expected this question, nothing was there in my mind that time) . I started repeating my strengths, as good team player and self motivated.

Then few straight questions were there in this round -
Interviewer - Why you feel you are a good team player ?
What are the qualities of a good team player ?
Where you see yourself after 5 years ?
How would you achieve that ?

Interviewer - Tell me something which is not at all in your resume, something interesting .
Me - Sir I do calligraphy writing (he appreciated) . He watched my resume and checked that it was written there and smiled and all

Lot of questions were there in this round, I answered them in a normal manner
Interviewer - What you do on weekend ?
What places you go around on weekends ?
What kind of movies you watch ?

Interviewer - What kind of person you are ? He said two words to choose one for me. I was unable to understand those words.
Me - Sorry Sir !, but I couldn't understand what you meant.

Interviewer - Ok, Do you go deep in the things or just see things  from above
Me - I would see the thing, if it demands to go deeper, then I would, otherwise I would just go from above and quick.

Interviewer - Why would you like to join Wipro ?
Me - Sir, Wipro is third largest company in India and its quite good company for freshers. Next thing is its offering very good salary for a fresher.

Interviewer - But this is not the best salary, no ?
Me - (He wanted to know I was happy with it or not). Sir as far as I know, this is the best salary for a fresher in the marked, like 3.25 + incentives is quite good.

Interviewer - But, that is not the fixed, you may get 2.75 only ?
Me - Sir, I believe that I can get 3.25 Lakhs, as I would work hard and perform well and learn more and more at Wipro.

Interviewer - So what are your interests, which subjects you like or, is there any subject you don't like ?
Me - ( I was not worried much as it was HR round, I knew) . I like OS, Distributed computing, I personally don't have interest in networking

Interviewer - Why you don't like networking ?
Me - Sir Its a interesting subject, but for me it is not so much interesting

Interviewer - Say one thing, Interesting or not interesting ?
Me - Ok, not interesting for me. (He was just grilling)

Interviewer - Why ?
Me - Thought for a second, then - I like learning more about things going inside a computer than how they are communicating. ( He smiled and was satisfied with the answer i feel, as it was a HR round)


Interviewer - How did you got these internships, you had any source ?
Me - I explained him, that i don't have any sources and I got though applications invited every year. I was the one to get selected along with others.

With that it was almost over. HR interview went for around 10-15 minutes
Interviewer - So We are done with this round Anmol, few quick questions  ...
They were all about location constraints, agree to wipro bond and all

He told me to fill a personal form, and we were needed to give all the details in that form. I filled it and submitted it. Finally Shreds volunteers told me that I can leave and results would come on shreds website on Monday, i.e. 21 February

Results came on 22 Feb. Selected !

4 comments:

  1. congrats.....wid all dis..experience as u explained here......i m sure...u hav dis one in ur hand.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're in dude..congrats!! if you don't believe read the whole thing for yourself :P

    ReplyDelete